Here is a simple recipe for honey lemon cough syrup that The Organic Consumers Association has also published. Be sure to keep this simple honey lemon cough syrup that’s useful to keep on hand during the winter months.
Lemon helps promote health by quickly alkalinizing your body, and honey will kill most bacteria while soothing your throat. This is a perfect choice for a quick cough remedy.
Honey Lemon Cough Syrup
- Put a pint of raw honey in a pan on the stove on VERY low heat (Do not boil honey as this changes its medicinal properties).
- Take a whole lemon and boil in some water in a separate pan for 2-3 minutes to both soften the lemon and kill any bacteria that may be on the lemon skin.
- Let the lemon cool enough to handle then cut it in slices and add it to the pint of honey on the stove.
- Let mixture cook on warm heat for about an hour.
- Then strain the lemon from the honey making sure all lemon seeds are removed.
- Let cool, then bottle in a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator.
This syrup will keep for 2 months in the refrigerator.
To soothe a cough, take 1/2 teaspoon for a 25 pound child and 1 teaspoon for a 50 pound child, about 4 times a day, or as often as needed. .
Adults can take 1 tablespoon doses.